Spirit is an untethered jailbreak by comex (et al.) for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux that jailbreaks all devices running iOS 3.1.2 through 3.2. Spirit also requires iTunes 9.0 or greater to be installed. It is a userland exploit, unique in that it does not rely on an iBoot/bootrom exploit. Since MobileBackup requires activation to be used, Spirit requires activation. It appears to copy a dylib to the "/var/mobile/Media/spirit" folder and adds a startup daemon that seemingly allows the jailbreak to work untethered.
- Windows may report error c0000005. Running Spirit in Compatibility Mode as Windows 98 will get around this - should be fixed with the updated version.
- On May 3, 2010, an updated version has been released to fix some problems. One problem was that some pictures could get deleted.
- File size of the Windows exe is 4570608 bytes (both versions)
- Many users have problems because they forgot to remove previous jailbreaks or because they don't know to what provider it is locked, so they cannot activate it after removing the previous jailbreak.
- To switch to Spirit from a previous tethered jailbreak, the previous jailbreak needs to be removed, which can be done by an iTunes restore. However, a regular iTunes restore also updates the baseband.
- Spirit does not work with iTunes 9.2 and later, though there is a version out there that comes with the files it needs in order to work without iTunes 9.2.