Preventing Baseband Update
Step 1: Swap Ramdisks
Step 2: Edit options.plist
- Unpack custom IPSW
- Decrypt Restore Ramdisk using xpwntool and mount it
- Navigate to /usr/local/share/restore
- Edit options.plist on the restore ramdisk
(Ignore the SystemPartitionSize in your plist file and leave it)
- Reencrypt the restore ramdisk
- Repack the IPSW
- Prepare device for custom firmware using redsn0w
- Restore IPSW to iTunes in pwned DFU Mode
TinyUmbrella/Cydia Method for iPhone 4 (Doesnt work on iOS 4.2.1)
The iPhone 4 requires a signature from Apple in order to update the baseband. Pointing the hosts file to Cydia Server or running TinyUmbrella will allow this request for signature to be ignored, thus preventing a baseband update.
- Edit the hosts file and add the line "220.127.116.11 gs.apple.com" without the quotes, or run TinyUmbrella after saving the firmware's SHSH. If Cydia Server hasn't got your SHSH, but you have it locally, use TSS Server method in TinyUmbrella.
- Use the "Restore" button in iTunes to update. you will get error 1013 on 4.2.1 when trying to restore thought the restore ramdisk