|RC1 BETA2 for Windows from the official website.||HTTP|
Limera1n is a jailbreak by geohot. It is untethered on all supported devices, which include the following (but aren't necessarily limited to):
It has been demonstrated multiple times by geohot, using blog posts on his now private blog. Geohot showed off a high-res picture of Cydia on an iPhone 4. Image He displayed an untethered jailbreak that met MuscleNerd's requirements for a good video on the iPod touch 3G: YouTube Video In addition, he demonstrated Cydia, blackra1n, and a verbose boot on an iPad (before Spirit was released): Image
- This does not use SHAtter.
- This uses a bootrom exploit (different than the greenpois0n one) to achieve the tethered jailbreak and unsigned code execution
- This uses a userland exploit to provide untetheredness, which geohot stole from comex.
- Chronic Dev knows about this exploit and has confirmed its legitimacy
- The pwnage-type exploit appears to reside in DFU mode of the device.
The jailbreak appears to execute something like the following: 1) The tool has you boot into DFU mode, where the fun starts. 2) Limera1n.exe appears to upload a payload to your device and execute it at this time, to pwn out the signature checks. 3) The device reboots and is now pwned. From here, it uploads an exploit and a ramdisk. The ramdisk installs limera1n.app and possibly the untethered part of the jailbreak. 4) The device shuts down and upon reboot with no computer necessary, the device is jailbroken.
The release of this jailbreak is specifically designed to pressure the Chronic Dev team into implementing the exploits in limera1n into greenpois0n. Now that geohot has released limera1n, SHAtter can't be released without major negative backlash from other hackers, as this would burn a bootrom exploit.